Comfort food. When I think of the types of dishes that would fall in this category, this particular dish stands at the top of the list. There is nothing like a pot of charro beans on a cool fall evening.
This weekend was our pumpkin patch weekend. My sister and I loaded the kids up in the van and headed to Abuelita and Papi’s house. This has been a much anticipated weekend for us. We were looking forward to taking our kids to the pumpkin patch and we were also excited to spend some time with family.
Arriving at mom and dad’s house, we were not disappointed. A big pot of charro beans was waiting for us…and a delicious apple crisp to follow. Comfort food lived up to its name that night.
What You Need:
* 3-4 cups of dry pinto beans
* 1 tsp. of baking soda
* Handful of cilantro (chopped)
* Half an onion (chopped)
* 4-5 garlic cloves (minced)
* 1 smoked turkey leg
* 1 can of Rotel
* Salt to taste
What To Do:
* Rinse and soak beans overnight with baking soda
* Discard soaking water
* Combine beans, cilantro, onion, garlic, turkey leg, Rotel, and salt in a stockpot/dutch oven
* Add 6 cups of water
* Bring to a boil for about 20 minutes
* Reduce heat and let simmer until beans are soft (this can take a few hours)